Types of Anemia
Types list: The list of types of Anemia mentioned in various sources includes:
- Iron deficiency anemia - the most common cause.
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia
- Pernicious anemia
- Categories of anemias:
- Microcytic hypochromic anemia - about 90% of cases
- Megaloblastic hyperchromic anemia - about 7% of cases; immature megaloblast cells wrongly enter the blood.
- Aplastic anemia - bone marrow not producing enough red blood cells.
- Hemolytic anemia - caused by early destruction of red blood cells in the blood.
- Sideroblastic anemia
There are several kinds of anemia produced by a variety of underlying
causes, but the most common and most severe type of anemia,
iron-deficiency anemia (IDA). Just as the name implies, this form of
anemia is due to insufficient iron. In the United States, 20% of all women
of childbearing age have iron-deficiency anemia, compared with only 2% of
adult men. The principal cause of iron-deficiency anemia in premenopausal
women is blood lost during menses. 1
1. excerpt from Anemia: NWHIC
Last revision: May 20, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center