Types of Heart failure
Types list: The list of types of Heart failure mentioned in various sources includes:
- Congestive heart failure
- Left heart failure
- Right heart failure
- Systolic heart failure - heart muscle has difficulty contracting.
- Diastolic heart failure - heart muscle has difficulty relaxing.
- Congestive heart failure - heart failure leading to pulmonary congestion and lung problems.
Types discussion: The term congestive heart failure is often used to describe all patients with heart failure. In reality, congestion (the buildup of fluid) is just one feature of the condition and does not occur in all patients. There are two main categories of heart failure although within each category, symptoms and effects may differ from patient to patient. The two categories are:
heart failure--This occurs when the heart's ability to contract decreases.
The heart cannot pump with enough force to push a sufficient amount of blood
into the circulation. Blood coming into the heart from the lungs may back up
and cause fluid to leak into the lungs, a condition known as pulmonary
- Diastolic heart failure--This occurs when the heart has a problem relaxing. The heart cannot properly fill with blood because the muscle has become stiff, losing its ability to relax. This form may lead to fluid accumulation, especially in the feet, ankles, and legs. Some patients may have lung congestion.
There are two main categories of heart failure –
systolic and diastolic - and within each category,
symptoms can differ from person to person. Systolic heart failure
happens when the heart’s ability to pump blood decreases. The heart
cannot push enough blood into the circulatory system, causing blood
coming into the heart from the lungs to back up and leak fluid into the
lungs (called pulmonary congestion). Diastolic heart
failure occurs when the heart has trouble relaxing or resting. The
heart muscle becomes stiff and cannot fill with blood, causing fluid to
buildup (most often in the feet, ankles, and legs) and lung congestion2
1. excerpt from NHLBI, Heart Failure: NHLBI
2. excerpt from HEART AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE: NWHIC
Last revision: May 29, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center