Medical Dictionary: Osteitis deformans
Medical dictionaries: Medical dictionary, Medical malpractice dictionary, Medical Acronymns/Abbreviations
Osteitis deformans: Another name for Paget's disease of bone.
Osteitis deformans (condition): Chronic bone disease causing bone thickening and weakness
Osteitis deformans (condition): Paget's disease of bone is a chronic bone disease. For the similarly named disease of the breast, see Paget's disease of breast.
Osteitis deformans: Paget's disease of bone is a chronic (long-term)
disorder that typically results in enlarged and deformed bones.
Excessive bone breakdown and formation cause thick and fragile bone.
As a result, bone pain, arthritis, noticeable deformities, and
fractures can occur. The disease can affect any bone of the body, but
is often found in the spine. The blood supply that feeds healthy nerve
tissue may be diverted to the area of involved bone. Also, structural
deformities of the involved vertebrae can cause narrowing of the
spinal canal, producing a variety of neurological symptoms.
More information on medical condition: Paget's disease of bone:
- Introduction: Paget's disease of bone
- Basic Summary for Paget's disease of bone
- Risk Factors for Paget's disease of bone
- Symptoms of Paget's disease of bone
- Complications of Paget's disease of bone
- Diagnostic Tests for Paget's disease of bone
- Treatments for Paget's disease of bone
1. excerpt from Questions and Answers About Spinal Stenosis: NIAMS
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center