Medical Dictionary: Otitis media
Medical dictionaries: Medical dictionary, Medical malpractice dictionary, Medical Acronymns/Abbreviations
Otitis media: Another name for Middle ear infection.
Otitis media (condition): Infection of middle ear also called otitis media.
Otitis media (condition): Also called otitis media, a middle ear infection is an infection of the inner ear canal. It is most common in infants and young children, usually as a complication from a common cold, flu, or sore throat.
The main symptoms are earache and fever, but various other symptoms are
possible such as
ear fluid draining, and hearing loss.
Infants may have difficulty communicating that they have earache,
but may display other behaviors indicating this, such as
tugging the ears, irritability, crying, and so on.
Diagnosis is made from symptoms and an inspection of the inner
ear canal using the proper instrument.
Treatments may include antibiotics and anti-fever medications,
though not all cases warrant such medications.
More information on medical condition: Middle ear infection:
- Introduction: Middle ear infection
- Basic Summary for Middle ear infection
- Causes of Middle ear infection
- Risk Factors for Middle ear infection
- Symptoms of Middle ear infection
- Complications of Middle ear infection
- Diagnostic Tests for Middle ear infection
- Treatments for Middle ear infection
More information on symptom: Ear infection:
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center