Causes of Retinopathy
Underlying condition causes of Retinopathy: The list of possible underlying conditions (see also Misdiagnosis of underlying causes of Retinopathy) mentioned in various sources as possible causes of Retinopathy includes:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Hypertensive retinopathy
- Arteriosclerotic retinopathy
- High cholesterol - cholesterol can exacerbate retinopathy and further damage in the small blood vessels of the eye, just as cholesterol can cause hardening of larger artery blood vessels.
- Prematurity - premature newborns may have retinopathy.
- Pregnancy - can exacerbate existing retinopathy though probably not cause it directly.
- Excessive alcohol - alcohol if used to extreme, reduces Vitamin B12 and thiamine levels. It is unclear what effect moderate alcohol has on retinopathy.
Related information for causes of Retinopathy:
Further relevant information on causes of Retinopathy may be found
in the risk factors for Retinopathy
and underlying causes of Retinopathy.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center