Forgetfulness: Forgetting things or loss of memory ability
Introduction: Loss of memory is a common symptom, particular in the elderly. Memory loss may also be associated with concentration symptoms. Many people fear a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease but many other possibilities exist, including simply the normal deterioration of memory function with aging. Other possibilities include the side effects of various medications and other medical conditions such as depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, certain brain conditions (e.g. stroke or brain tumors) and various types of dementia. Any memory-related symptoms need prompt professional medical advice to determine the correct diagnosis.
Description: A lot of people experience memory lapses. Some memory problems are serious, and others are not. People who have serious changes in their memory, personality, and behavior may suffer from a form of brain disease called dementia. Dementia seriously affects a person's ability to carry out daily activities. Alzheimer's disease is one of many types of dementia. 1
Detailed cause information for symptom: Forgetfulness:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Forgetfulness: concentration symptoms (30)
Forgetfulness type of: Memory symptoms (59)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Forgetfulness: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Forgetfulness as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Some everyday causes of forgetfulness may include:
- Tiredness - see also causes of tiredness
- Concentration problems - see also causes of concentration difficulty
- Pregnancy - some level of forgetfulness is common in pregnant women.
- New mother - adjusting to a new baby also commonly leads to forgetfulness (such as from tiredness).
- General anxiety
- Some less serious causes of forgetfulness in older persons may include:
- Normal aging - the memory (and concentration) ability does gradually reduce with age.
- Age-associated memory impairment (AAMI) - the normal forgetfulness of aging.
- Benign senescent forgetfulness (BSF) - an earlier name now largely superceded by AAMI
- Some more serious causes of forgetfulness include:
- Alzheimer's disease - forgetfulness is an early sign and Alzheimer's has progressive memory loss.
- Parkinson's disease - causes progressive memory loss
- Depression - often causing forgetfulness and/or lack of concentration.
- Depressive disorders
- Dementia - Alzheimer's is not the only type of dementia
- Emotional problems
- Some possible substance or medication causes of forgetfulness include:
- Brain conditions - various conditions of the brain can affect memory and cause forgetfulness.
- Migraine - may cause temporary memory failure.
- Brain tumor
- Cerebrovascular accident
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Primary degenerative dementia - progressive dementia and memory loss
- Multi-infarct dementia - progressive dementia and memory loss
- Head trauma
- Brain injury
- Brain infection
- Bacterial brain infection
- Viral brain infection
- Fungal brain infection
- AIDS - because they acquire a brain infection
- Brain inflammation
- Herpex simplex encephalitis
- Temporal lobe epilepsy (type of Epilepsy)
- Korsakoff's syndrome
- Medial temporal lobe lesions
- Limbic encephalitis
- Transient global amnesia
- Other possible physical diseases that may cause forgetfulness include:
- Other psychological conditions that may cause forgetfulness include:
- Acute confusional state
- Adjustment disorder
Medications or substances causing Forgetfulness: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Forgetfulness as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
Conditions listing symptoms: Forgetfulness: The following list of conditions have 'Forgetfulness' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Forgetfulness: The following list of conditions have 'Forgetfulness' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
1. excerpt from Forgetfulness It's Not Always What You Think - Age Page - Health Information: NIA
Last revised: Nov 26, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center