Hallucinations: Seeing, hearing or sensing something that does not exist.
Introduction: Hallucinations occur when a person believes that they experience something that does not physically exist. Hallucinations can be visual (seeing), auditory (hearing), or even affect the senses of touch or taste. Hallucinations are a serious symptom that needs prompt professional medical advice for diagnosis and treatment.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Hallucinations:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Hallucinations: paranoia (13), delusions (19)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Hallucinations: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Hallucinations as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Some of the more common possible causes of hallucinations include:
- Psychotic disorders - these are typified by hallucinations and/or delusions.
- Some of the less common possible causes of hallucinations include:
- Alcohol abuse
- Physical medical conditions that may lead to hallucinations include:
- Brain disorders
- Eye disorders - may cause various visual effects which might be described as visual hallucinations.
- Sensory organ disorders - causing hallucinations of the various senses.
- Certain medications
- See also causes of confusion, dementia, paranoia, delusions
Medications or substances causing Hallucinations: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Hallucinations as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Certain illicit drugs
- Certain medications
- Pain medications
- Cardiovascular medications
Conditions listing symptoms: Hallucinations: The following list of conditions have 'Hallucinations' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Hallucinations: The following list of conditions have 'Hallucinations' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 26, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center