Symptom: Urine color changes
Urine color changes: Any change to the color of urine.
Introduction: The urine may change color for many reasons, some harmless and some quite severe. Blood in urine is called "hematuria" and may change the color of urine to a pinkish, reddish, orange, darker, or even greyer looking urine. The appearance of any urine color changes needs prompt professional medical investigation.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Urine color changes:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Types of Urine color changes: darkened urine (43), clear urine (1), cloudy urine (10), red urine (5), blood in urine (28), blue urine (0), orange urine (2)
Urine color changes type of: Urinary symptoms (104)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Urine color changes: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Urine color changes as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Any causes of the various types of urine colors:
- Certain foods or drinks - various types of foods or drink affect urine coloration.
- Blood in urine - see causes of blood in urine
- Dehydration - causes darker urine or even a gold-color urine
- Bile in urine - causes a tea-like or mahogany color.
- Jaundice - causes bile in urine
- Acute intermittent porphyria
- See also cloudy urine, orange urine, red urine, darkened urine or pink urine
Medications or substances causing Urine color changes: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Urine color changes as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Certain laxatives - may turn urine red color
- Phenolphthaleine - may turn urine red color
- Beta-carotene supplements - may make urine yellow or urine orange
- Risanpin - may make urine blue or green color.
- Rifampin - makes urine orange color.
- Urised - can cause green urine
- Vitamin B supplementns - can cause orange urine
- Pyridium - can cause orange urine
- Aldomet - can cause black urine
- Certain tranquilizers - can cause reddish urine or brown urine
- Methylene blue dye - can cause green urine or blue urine
- Certain diagnostic medications
Conditions listing symptoms: Urine color changes: The following list of conditions have 'Urine color changes' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Urine color changes: The following list of conditions have 'Urine color changes' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center